Wednesday, January 3, 2018

My Favorite Reads of 2017


Putting together this list was definitely a difficult task.  I read so many good books over the course of the past 12 months.  Trying to trim them down to just ten books was impossible (that's why I cheated and added another 5 to the "honorable mentions" list).  With that being said, I made a list that I am not entirely sure of.  I think the top two are pretty set in stone, but after that the order (or even the books in the list) could all change depending on the day of the week...or which way the wind is blowing...or what I ate for lunch.....or......

But here it is.  This is my definitive list of the top 10 books I read this past year.  While most of them were published in 2017, not all were.  This isn't a list of my favorite books from the year, but rather my favorite books I read during 2017.  Each title will be a link that you can click on to go the post for my full review of each book.

1.  A List of Cages by Robin Roe
     -This has been my number one since I read it this summer.  So heartbreaking, yet so full of hope.  This was the easy #1 choice for me.

2. The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Saenz 
     -I love Benjamin Alire Saenz, and this was such a beautiful novel.  It is an incredible story about family and figuring our where you fit in this world of ours.  

3.  Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds 
     -A wonderfully told story written in verse.  Even though this book is been out for less than two months, it has already been picked up to be made in to a movie.  

4.  The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King 
     -A.S. King's first YA novel was re-released in October and I'm so glad it was.  This is an incredibly fun novel about a modern day teenage girl who was once a famous pirate in the 1600s.  

5.  The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza by Shaun David Hutchinson
     -Another novel that was so much fun to read, but a book that will definitely make you think about the bigger picture as well.  

6.  One of the Boys by Daniel Mageriel 
     -A beautiful, yet heartbreaking story of two brothers who must stick together to endure and eventually escape the abuse of their father.

7.  Saint Death by Marcus Sedgwick 
     -A story about the dangers and the lure of growing up in the gang filled border town of Juarez, Mexico.  A wonderfully written story.  

8.  Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson
     -A dark and gritty novel about a girl who was convicted of killing a baby when she was just a young child herself.  But is that what really happened?  This one will keep you turning the pages.  

9.  Because of the Sun by Jenny Torres Sanchez  
     -An engrossing novel about family, accepting our past, forgiveness, and resilience.  This one could easily be higher on the list.

10.  The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis
     -An intense novel that will make us question whether violence is ever the answer to conflict.  It is dark and heartbreaking, but it is a story worth telling.  

Honorable Mention (I had to find some way to talk about them again):

- The Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock   
- Bang by Barry Lyga   
- In Sight of Stars by Gae Polisner 
- In the Path of Falling Objects by Andrew Smith 
- Little Monsters by Kara Thomas 

No comments:

Post a Comment