Monday, January 6, 2020

My Favorite Reads of 2019



With a new year upon us, it is time to put together my top ten list of books I read in 2019.  This is such a difficult task.  I read so many good books during the past year and narrowing it down to just 10 is nearly impossible.  With that being said, I've put together a list.  This list could be different a week from now or even tomorrow, but this is my list as of this moment.  There were so many great books by great authors published in 2019, but I also picked up some older titles that had slipped by over the years.  2019 was a great reading year and I look forward to all the great books I will encounter in 2020.

Each title on the list will link to my original post of the novel if you want to go back and check out my full review.  

1. The Line Tender by Kate Allen
      -This was such a beautiful story.  I read this one over the summer and immediately knew it would be near or at the top of my year end list.  And the main character's name is Lucy, so that made it even better.

2. Heroine by Mindy McGinnis
     -A really powerful book about the dangers of the opioid crisis that has effected so many of our youth.  

3. Exile From Eden by Andrew Smith  
     -This is the long-awaited sequel to Andrew's Grasshopper Jungle.  Andrew is one of my favorites as is GJ, so I have been waiting a long time for this one.  And it may be weird to say this, but I think I enjoyed this story more than the original.  

4. Let Me Hear A Rhyme by Tiffany D. Jackson  
      -I am always blown away by the novels of Tiffany D. Jackson.  While different from her first two novels, this one did not disappoint.  It was an incredibly fun story.

5. Patron Saints of Nothing by Randy Ribay  
     -This is a powerful and important book about family and friendship and the atrocities that have taken place in the Philippines.  A well deserved finalist for the National Book Award.

6. Devils Within by S.F. Henson 
     -I am a sucker for a good cult story and this is one of them.  It is a story that will haunt you long after the last page.  

7. The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen 
     -This is an older title, but one I am so glad I picked up.  What an incredible story about perseverance, will power, and the triumph of the human spirit.  

8. Two Can Keep A Secret by Karen McManus  
     -McManus writes such incredible mysteries and this one was great.  And as the new year begins, her third novel is set to be released on January 7.  I can wait.   

9. Fadeaway by Maura Ellen Stokes 
     -The debut novel from Stokes, Fadeaway was a beautiful story about loss and grief, but also about the enduring power of friendship.  

10. The Size of the Truth by Andrew Smith 
     -Another one on the list by Andrew, this one a prequel of sorts to his incredible novels Winger and Standoff.  And I have to say, I didn't know that Andrew could pull off a novel without the cuss words, but he did a masterful job of it.  


Honorable Mention (in alphabetical order by book title):

Deposing Nathan by Zack Smedley
Internment by Samira Ahmed
Rayne and Delilah's Midnite Matinee by Jeff Zentner
Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman
With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment